Date: 10/8/18 3:30 pm
From: Christopher Takacs <americanchris22...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Nelson's or LeConte's
Today around noon I spotted very briefly one of those orange faced with
gray cheek sparrows in New Overpeck Park in Bergen County. I had only the
briefest looks. It was feeding in a grass field with standing water in the
company of snipe and pectoral sandpipers. Since I've been searching
Meadowlands for Nelson's I had that on my mind and thought that at first.
Knowing that Overpeck is a LeConte's spot historically, that now crossed my
mind. I only spotted the face in profile as it lifted its head in the grass
and then flushed, so no other field marks. Both can be found in wet fields
so this spot might be worth another look. I spent an hour with no luck
refinding it. It was seen making a short weak flight away from the wet
field area east towards the large #1 (one) marker along the paved walkway.
Weather today was gray, drizzly, foggy so it might stick. The field and
surrounding water's edge habitat had Snipe, 10 Pectorals, Pipit, many
Savannah Sparrows, Swamps, a single Indigo Bunting (imm) yellow-rumps and
blackpoll and Kestrels hunting

Chris Takacs
Lyndhurst
BCAS