Date: 10/8/18 3:28 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.
The mosquito crops have been particularly fierce lately, but seemed unusually brutal today on the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  Thirty-three birders  tallied44 species.  We witnessed a mixture of Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs circling the central wetlands in a festive acrobatic show.  We thank Pam and Stuart Davis for hosting our traditional after birding breakfast.  I am also reminded that I failed to thank Jenny and Bill Pate for their generous hosting of our breakfast on Labor day.  Iplead for forgiveness.  Birders are reminded that this walk will adopt its traditional winter start time of 8AM on Monday, 5 November.

Canada Goose  66
Mallard  15
Northern Pintail  8
Mourning Dove  10
Chimney Swift  150
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  4
Greater Yellowlegs  8
Lesser Yellowlegs  4
Caspian Tern  1
Great Blue Heron  7
Great Egret  5
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Barred Owl  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  3
crow sp.  3
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  12
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  3
Cedar Waxwing  1
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4Red-winged Blackbird  37
Common Grackle  11
Common Yellowthroat  2
Palm Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  7

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from October through April), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park