Date: 10/8/18 11:56 am
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Multnomah Co. Ruff
All,

I agree that the photo was taken at Force Lake. To echo Jay’s words, if one
chooses to bird on the golf course, please be discreet and try and stay out
of golfers’s ways. As someone who birds at that location quite frequently
during the colder months, I try and leave a very small “footprint” and make
my presence rather inconspicuous. The head groundskeeper is rather nice and
personable, so long as we all are respectful of the course and the golfers.

As for the second pond Jay referenced, I checked it this morning. There
were about 10 Yellowlegs present and many Green-winged Teals and Mallards.
The mud levels have improved with this past rain. Be mindful of golfers if
you decide to walk over, many will lay up their approach shot right near
the pond.

The Red Phalarope was also absent this early AM.

I also agree a prolonged stakeout is probably ones best bet for seeing the
Ruff and/or Red Phalarope. The shorebirds have a way of sneaking in to the
pond, and seemingly come from any of the four cardinal directions.

I’ll also second all the locations Jay mentioned for other possible haunts.
I’ll add that the entire stretch of the Columbia Slough running from N
Portland Ave all the way east to NE 33rd Drive (and beyond) can have
appropriate shorebird habitat, especially when the tide is low. I’ve
witnessed several species of shorebirds flying along the slough and
touching down here and there over this past week. There is a lot of ground
to cover however! Bicycles work best in my opinion.

Good Birding,
-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)