Date: 10/8/18 10:22 am
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Subject: [COBOL] Big day on Green Ridge
The dynamic hawk watching duo of Steve Small and Carol Cwiklinski came up
for three days of mid week observing and tallied 214 raptors on Thursday.
Their data will also be posted on hawkcount.org.

Sunday's first bird was a Merlin but the first hour (10-11) only produced 5
raptors. In the second hour we had 33, then 19, 41, 53 and 50 which
totaled 201 raptors at 4:00 when lead observer Peter Low had to depart.
Initially Kim Boddie, David Braunschweiger, Joel Tinsley and I thought that
Peter had taken the birds with him but then the flood gates opened and an
additional 108 birds moved through by the time the show stopped at 5:40.
Apparently Saturday's fog kept the birds hunkered down on the first day of
our traditional big weekend. Despite the lack of wind and overcast skies
on Sunday the birds decided it was time to go as the day waned. It was the
kind of day one always hopes for and what keeps us comming back with the
last bird of the day being a beautiful subadult Golden Eagle

5 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey
29 Bald Eagle (15 in last hour)
1 Northern Harrier
172 Sharp-shinned Hawk
21 Cooper's Hawk
4 Northern Goshawk (all in last hour)
58 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Northern Harrier
5 Golden Eagle
5 Merlin
1 Peregine Falcon
2 Unid. Accipiter
2 Unid. Buteo
2 Unid. Raptor

A 309 raptor day was great but it pales in comparison to Green Ridge's
biggest day of 420. A Yellow-shafted Flicker intergrade flew over and a
Black-backed Woodpecker made a brief appearance. There were also sightings
of Chuck, Eric, Courtney, Brody, Steve with family
and two "younger" couples, the Hennigans and Grenwoods. I should point out
to Courtney that I can also be considered a "younger" birder since I am
younger than Jim Anderson!

David