Date: 10/7/18 7:47 pm
From: Dena Temple <denat01...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] OT - Unusual butterfly sighting today, Middletown/Monmouth County
I know this is slightly off-topic, but there are enough birders who also watch butterflies that I thought this would be of interest to many.

This afternoon John and I located a Long-tailed Skipper in our zinnia patch in Middletown, Monmouth County. We maintain a number of gardens with butterfly-friendly plants like salvia, agastache, zinnia, butterfly bush, butterfly weed, etc. and are rewarded by many pollinators all season. Today John spotted what he thought was your run-of-the-mill Silver-spotted Skipper, but it took only a second to correct that! Brilliant blue-green above with that long, almost swallowtail-like tail, that butterfly is unlike any other and unmistakable. We were familiar with this butterfly from visits to SW Florida, but we've never seen one in NJ!

I submitted the sighting thru the NABA-NJ website but wanted to send out this notice as well, so others with interest can keep their eyes open. Sharon from NABA-NJ said that this is only the second sighting of this species reported in NJ this year, so we feel very blessed.

Good butterflying,

Dena Temple
Middletown, NJ
<denat01...>