Date: 10/7/18 5:12 pm
From: Jon Stippick <jonstippick...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Gloucester County- migrants
It was a pretty good weekend for migrants here in Gloucester County. My yard has had quite a few birds coming through- 10 species of warbler the last 2 days including Nashville and Tennessee. I needed both for my county goal this year of 215, I'm at 213 now. There have been several Blackpolls moving through the yard but no matter how hard I try, I just can't make one into a Bay-breasted...that'll be a miss. Nighthawks have been around almost every night, 6 out of the last 7. I usually only see them from my yard once or twice a year so it's been quite a treat to see them so frequently this year.
American Bittern at Floodgates on Saturday morning was a target bird that I really didn't expect to get. Unfortunately it settled into the reeds and out sight shortly after I spotted it in flight. Caspian Terns were still present in dwindling numbers. 1 looked really good for Royal Tern but I couldn't find it in the scope as it flew by with a few Caspians to confirm. Yellow bill, white head, thinner wings and white above...I got all that in a brief binocular view then went for the scope but found nothing but clouds. Maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see. I also had a Purple Finch at Riverwinds on Saturday. I heard it singing first then I was surprised to find a female, I've had females singing before unless it's an immature male?
Hopefully October has more migrants than September. Lincoln's and Vesper Sparrow would be nice. I've had Lincoln's in my yard a couple times, Vesper would be a county bird.
It's birdy out there, Enjoy

Jon Stippick
Franklin Township, Gloucester County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>