Date: 10/7/18 5:02 pm
From: Diane L via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Hone Quarry Rec. Area: WT Sparrows back & late Worm-eating Warbler, (Rockingham - 10/7)
White-throated Sparrows are trickling back in;  Dave Wendelken and I found a small flock at Hone Quarry Recreation Area today, and one greeted me this afternoon at home.  At Hone Quarry, we enjoyed the company of two low-foraging Yellow-billed Cuckoos for quite a long time.  One pounced to the road to nab a woolly bear caterpillar.  Soon after, one snagged what looked like a katydid.  Perhaps curious about us or our clicking cameras, the bird flew directly toward us to perch close by, still carrying the bug.     Fun!

Also at Hone Quarry, we found a late Worm-eating Warbler beyond the dam and a Pied-billed Grebe on the lake.  We both gasped when one of what we thought two chasing kingfishers "turned into" a Cooper's Hawk!  Yikes!  The kingfisher won that round and the hawk left, presumably still hungry.

Other finds included several Swainson's Thrushes, singing Blue-headed Vireos, and Tennessee Warbler.

Hone Quarry Recreation Area (in the George Washington National Forest) is west of Dayton on Rt. 257 (Briery Branch Rd).  Recent severe flooding has somewhat damaged the area.  The road is passable but badly pot-holed and really soft and rutted in places.   Might be tricky for a low-riding car.   (As Dave said, not Prius territory!)

Diane Lepkowski
Harrisonburg