Date: 10/6/18 2:49 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [obol] Yamhill:coming and going
Three migratory species at JOe Dancer, all common: Barn Swallow, junco,
yellow-rump.

Arrivals and Departures

The arrivals and departures in the avian travel world are often
unscheduled, fueled not by petroleum but protein and sugars and migration
hormones. Arrivals and departures can happen any time of day or night.
And this morning Joe Dancer was quiet bird-wise (lots of little people
kicking soccer balls around) but all four birds were on the move. A
Dark-eyed Junco, a Yellow-rumped Warbler, two Barn Swallows gathering
insects;

I had never before seen a Yellow-rump in this park in autumn, and never
between April and end of September. Juncos can appear anytime but mostly
in fall through early spring. This is the first time I have seen Barn
Swallows there later than Labor Day though they are regular and often
abundant over the playing fields in summer. In spring Barn Swallows swarm
back in mid-April. I wish them well on their thousands of miles of
migration in the coming months. May the bugs be with you.

--
Harry Fuller
author of: *San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:*

Join us on Facebook!