Date: 10/5/18 10:05 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Oct 2018) 46 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 46 314 4728

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Gerry Teig, Hank Davis

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Hank Davis, Carol Majors, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Overcast w/ Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 9,300 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 60 - 71F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (16) and Turkey Vultures (27).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A birding emergency has been developing for a few days now,
necessitating an ER visit, this morning. A ROCK WREN, Pennsylvania’s
first ever, was discovered in Dixon Meadows Preserve in Montgomery County
with me “stuck” here at Bucktoe – all day, every day. I had let it remain
there long enough without a visit from me – today was the day! This
blogger needed this bird for his “state bird list.’ I left before dawn
this morning, picking up Kathleen for the adventure. We stopped for coffee
and tea and were on our way, arriving at first light. The bird took its
time to show up for the assembled birders, but then came up on a rock,
bobbing and weaving as wrens like to do. My “condition” was cured with a
nice look at the Pennsylvania first. I was quickly off towards Bucktoe to
“begin” my day. Hank & Carol were there already and understood my
“emergency.” A Tennessee Warbler, then a Nashville Warbler were attracted
to our water feature. Savannah Sparrow had been at the seed earlier. Our
first adult male Purple Finch was here today, all others having thus far
been females or immature birds.
<BR><BR>
Rain…uncalled for, yet here it is. It was supposed to be “Partly Sunny”
with 50% cloud cover today. Hmmm… we got overcast with rain. Nice! On
top of that, I’m freezing! Still, Hank was out here wearing his customary
shorts. There was some strong movement of birds today – Not too many
hawks, but Canada Geese, Goldfinches, Purple Finches, Blue Jays, Robins,
and Flickers.
<BR><BR>
We identified 51 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Barred Owl, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
Lincoln’s Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Blackpoll Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Rosee-breasted
Grosbeak, and Purple Finch. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species
list was Nashville Warbler and Savannah Sparrow. [124 species for the
season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow,
Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Tennessee Warbler,
Nashville Warbler, Rosee-breasted Grosbeak, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Monarch - 3. Dragonflies (0).
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.28; Steps: 12,333; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 51; this season: 124
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Savannah
Sparrow and Nashville Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not too good, with cloudy conditions and winds
becoming southerly.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: