Date: 10/5/18 5:56 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
HQ Chestnut-sided and YB sap still there at 4 pm. No sign of the Band-tail. At least three and maybe four WT Sparrows at HQ.

Top of Steens was tough today. 32 degrees, inch of iced-over snow above Kiger turnoff and wind 10-12 from the west. No finches, though we saw a junco with good judgment fly into a hole in the rocks to hide.

Quite an amazing flock-group of Yellow-rumps at Benson Pond. As we started to walk in, 200 of them came out, gathered in the sky like swallows and flew west across the river. A couple of minutes later another 200 blew out and went over to the main trees. Still plenty left. Almost all Audubons, lots feeding on the ground. Total over 500 around Benson.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com