Date: 10/5/18 3:31 pm
From: Gerco H via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Changing seasons; some late some early birds
I too will jump on the Red-breasted Nuthatches bandwagon. This morning the first one was seen in the yard. Hopefully more will follow. Our two remaining Ruby-throated Hummingbirds appear to have left for warmer regions, but a late Scarlet Tanager is still around. This morning he was seen sitting between two Swainson's Thrushes on a branch. Warbler continue to migrate through including Cape May, Black and White, American Redstart, Blackpoll and Black-throated Blue Warbler. The latter has been around since Sept 24 or so. A single Blue-headed Vireo was seen, but no Red-eyed Vireos. They too have left.

For the past days we have seen strong early morning migrations from Blue Jays and American Robins. Interestingly the Jay's were all flying North to South and the Robins all Northwest to Southeast. Virtually no other flying directions we noticed.

Elsewhere in Loudoun, Alder Lake, I saw a single Ruddy Duck and a Eastern Phoebe as well. It was a nice 5 minute stop after some much needed dinner shopping.

Yesterday, on my way home I saw 3 Common Nighthawks, a Common raven, late Chimney Swift and female Wood Duck.

After a prolonged absence a pair of Barred Owl are once again in the neighborhood. The other night they startled me with their crazy monkey calls.

Happy birding

Gerco
Leesburg, VA