Date: 10/5/18 2:27 pm
From: Mitchell Pruitt <0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...>
Subject: The owls are coming!
Weather (and time) permitting, nets will open October 17th. Forecasts from our colleagues up north seem to point towards a decent flight this year in eastern North America. They have had lots of owls in the nets, many of them hatch-year birds, suggesting the breeding season was pretty successful. It would be a bit unusual to see another booming migration year just 2 years after the last one, but it is possible. Let’s hope it trickles down to us!

In addition to Northern Saw-whet Owls, we will be trying harder to capture Long-eared Owls this fall. This is another poorly understood migrant that has never before been captured in the state…but we have plenty of records to show they are here *sometimes*. Let’s see if any show up in our nets this season!

If you want to get your owl fill for the year, come visit our field station at the Ozark Natural Science Center. Contact me at <mlpruitt24...> to set up a night! We will be one team member short this year, but are going to be having double the fun just for Kim Smith.

See you in the dark,
Mitchell Pruitt

Join us on Facebook!