Date: 10/5/18 1:28 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: TUNDRA PEREGRINE AND WHITE-FACED IBISES AT CENTERTON
There were still ibises (8) at Centerton this morning. Some have diagnostic red eyes now, so these are for sure White-faced Ibises. Thatís probably what they all are, but there are brown-eyed birds, too. These could be young ibises that havenít acquired red eyes yet, but of course, there is always the chance of a Glossy Ibis mixed in.

This is mainly happening at the big pond on the west side. As Karen Garrett put it, you have to ďhoof itĒ up the hill (no driving, but exceptions may be permitted for those with walking impairment). In addition, Killdeer (~25), Greater Yellowlegs (1), Solitary Sandpiper (1), Spotted Sandpiper (2), Least Sandpiper (56), Bairdís Sandpiper (2), Pectoral Sandpiper (3), Stilt Sandpiper (6), Wilsonís Snipe (4). Later, American Pipit (1; FOS for me).

Photographer Phyllis Kane was also watching ibises this morning. Suddenly, there was a great commotion on the pond flats. A peregrine streak over the flat, circled back, then made a short flight to perch in a tall snag just south of the pond. Light was perfect and we had exceptionally fine views, including the huge feet. Itís the adult Tundra form, subspecies tundrius that nests in the Arctic but winters in the south. Just passing through, I guess, and interested in all the birds, including Blue-winged Teal (6) on the flat this morning.

Join us on Facebook!