Date: 10/5/18 6:43 am
From: <birderick...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Yard migrants
I got a rather late start today. My first visitor was the immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the feeder and trying to nectar at an unopened night-blooming cereus flower. Next, a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over.
A small pocket of activity at the very back along the tree line was frustrating, but ultimately rewarding as well. The birds stayed in the (darkened) trees and branches, backlit with the bright sky so viewing was difficult. "Warblers" was really all I could tell. One was a Yellow-rumped, which came into better light. One or possibly two PHILADELPHIA VIREOS were mixed in, foraging, and one very pretty individual came out in very good close light just above me to cough up what looked like seeds, several times. A Scarlet Tanager and Swainson's Thrush were here too, and possibly a skulky White-throated Sparrow. I heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch high in the treetops.
The front meadow gave me a quick view of a Blackpoll Warbler that flew off further into the small trees.

Rick Sussman
Woodbine,MD