Date: 10/4/18 5:47 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Oct 2018) 140 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, Sabrena Boekell

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Hank Davis, Sabrena Boekell
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny becoming overcast W/ Rain (50-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -
25,400-19,500 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 61 - 83F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10
mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (66) and Turkey Vultures (64).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Behind horse trailers and an ice run made me late to arrive
at the “Hawk Watch” today, beaten by Hank & Sabrena. Sabrena bore gifts of
chocolate. THAT is a good start! The fog lifted to an incredible morning
flight of hawks featuring Sharp-shinned Hawks, Cooper’s Hawks, Kestrels,
Red-tailed Hawks, and a surprising number of semi late-season Broad-winged
Hawks, many of them taking off in the woods right to our northeast. The
flight dropped off considerably after noon. The Lincoln’s Sparrow was in
several times today. RAVENS did an incredible flyby [pictures below]. The
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW made 2 very brief appearances today that I noticed,
but is still here. The weather deteriorated with the hawk flight. A
calling flyover Horned Lark was new for “The Watch” list.
<BR><BR>
We identified 54 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Barred Owl, COMMON RAVEN, Common
Nighthawk, Horned Lark, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler, Swamp Sparrow,
Lincoln’s Sparrow, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, Purple Finch, and Rose-breasted
Grosbeak. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Swamp
Sparrow, Horned Lark. [122 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, COMMON RAVEN, Common Nighthawk, Horned Lark, Yellow-rumped
Warbler, Palm Warbler, Swamp Sparrow, Lincoln’s Sparrow, CLAY-COLORED
SPARROW, Purple Finch, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur,
Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Red Admiral.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.51; Steps: 5,893; Floors: 3.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 122
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Swamp
Sparrow, Horned Lark.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks decent, with good background clouds and light
northeast winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: