Date: 10/4/18 9:33 am
From: Jack and Pam <00000064a46c579c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: mimicry
Every year, in early March, I dash out the door bins in hand thinking I've got a very early Broad-winged Hawk.   Then as I turn to look up I remember, it's going to be a Blue Jay.  Some people never learn.
JackNewton County
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 5:02:07 PM CDT, DAN SCHEIMAN <birddan...> wrote:

I have heard and seen Blue Jays mimic Mississippi Kites many times. Do not ID a MIKI by call alone outside of the expected season, and use caution with a single call during their season, just like you would with a Red-shouldered Hawk call. I also hear and see jays imitate Cooper's Hawks.

Dan Scheiman

Little Rock, AR

On October 3, 2018 at 4:38 PM Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...> wrote:

Bill, I cannot answer your query but I can tell you this: I always caution students not to report Red-shouldered Hawks based just on a single call.  The Blue Jays around here are pretty good mimics of the hawks.
KannanFt. Smith
On Wednesday, 3 October, 2018, 3:27:32 PM GMT-5, Bill Shepherd <stoneax63...> wrote:

Does anyone else wonder if some of the late Mississippi Kites being reported could be Blue Jays instead?  All I can say is that I have never seen a Blue Jay mimic a MIKI.  Have I ever heard a Blue Jay mimic a MIKI?   I don't know if I have or not.

Bill Shepherd

Join us on Facebook!