Date: 10/4/18 6:53 am
From: <birderick...>
Subject: [MDBirding] RBNU
Early thick fog made for very slow birding here in SW Carroll County this morning as all the birds seemed to be in hiding. I heard many more than I saw, but just before 9 AM as I was nearing the end of my walk, I heard (once again) the toot tooting call of a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH from somewhere (out in the mist). It sounded vaguely like it was coming from near a row of white pines along my neighbors property, so I went back and stood in the corner of my yard, and played the RBNU tooting call on my Audubon app on my phone. Shortly I heard it right beside me, bopping around in the serviceberry tree and calling back at me. It was only about 8-10 feet away at this point and gave me great looks. I'd almost forgotten how cute these little guys are!

Then after that there were a few good birds in the front meadow; a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (FOS), a female Indigo Bunting, and a Field Sparrow.

Good birding,
Rick Sussman
Woodbine,MD