Date: 10/4/18 3:53 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Oct 2018) 47 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 47 128 4542

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Hank Davis, Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (8): Howard Campbell, Hank Davis, Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi,
Kelley Nunn, Daniel Noznisky, Rick Mulrooney.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy-Mostly Sunny (100-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 7,100-30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 67 - 79F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (67) and
Turkey Vultures (73).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ There was nothing of not at the Polo Fields as I drove past
to Bucktoe. The feeders were active this morning with Field Sparrows,
Chipping Sparrows, and our CLAYC-COLORED SPARROW, among others. Our prize
sparrow afforded fantastic looks in the scope while it moved around the
feeder snag. Howard was here with his usual Wednesday offering of bird
seed. Thanks, Buddy! Right away, Howard spotted a first-year Bald Eagle
soaring low, right over our site. Howard always requires one of those
before he can go home. “But you just got here, Howard!” I exclaimed.
Howard settled down with some nice field brew. RAVENS put in an appearance
in the afternoon. Our hawk flight was slow, despite the very good
conditions. Hank arrived had some field brew and readied his camera. He
was not disappointed with either. The sparrow returned with Hank getting
the pictures below. The sky was fantastic today, winds were right, but
hawks over Bucktoe were slow. Steady, but slow.
<BR><BR>
We identified 51 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Barred Owl, COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted
Nuthatch, Palm Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and Purple Finch. Nothing new was seen for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list. [120 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Palm Warbler,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Lincoln’s Sparrow, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and Purple
Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow
Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.51; Steps: 17,518; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 51; this season: 120
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like the winds shift to a less favorable direction,
but we do retain background clouds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: