Date: 10/3/18 8:16 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - Oct. 3
It was warm and windy on the bird survey today. 54 species were found.
Migrants were scarce compared to last weeks survey. The most interesting
encounter I had today was hearing a couple Soras having an apparent
territorial dispute and being quite vocal in the middle of the day. I
clapped my hands like I do to get them to sound off in the Spring and it
worked with both birds calling back. I moved down the levee and played some
Sora calls on a playback device and then clapped my hands and two more birds
responded. I moved further down the levee and found another bird. I have
never had them react like this in Fall migration. Here is my list for
today:

Wood Duck - 19

Gadwall - 1

Blue-winged Teal - 22

Northern Pintail - 1

Pied-billed Grebe - 1

Anhinga - 1

Great-blue Heron - 3

Great Egret - 15

Snowy Egret - 6

White Ibis - 5

Dark Ibis species - 13

Black Vulture - 36

Turkey Vulture - 124

Cooper's Hawk - 1

Red-shouldered Hawk - 3

Sora - 5

Purple Gallinule - 5

Common Gallinule - 25

American Coot - 122

Killdeer - 10

Wilson's Snipe - 7

Rock Pigeon - 12

Mourning Dove - 4

Eurasian Collared-Dove - 1

Chimney Swift - 2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 3

Belted Kingfisher - 3

Red-headed Woodpecker - 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3

Downy Woodpecker - 2

Hairy Woodpecker - 1

Northern Flicker - 1

Olive-sided Flycatcher - 1 (new late date for RS)

Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1

Eastern Phoebe - 7

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 2

Blue Jay - 11

American Crow - 7

Tree Swallow - 1

Carolina Chickadee - 7

Tufted Titmouse - 7

Carolina Wren - 8

Sedge Wren - 1

Eastern Bluebird - 2

Gray Catbird - 2

Brown Thrasher - 3

European Starling - 5

Yellow Warbler - 1 (new late date for RS)

Northern Waterthrush - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 5

Northern Cardinal - 8

Blue Grosbeak - 2