Date: 10/3/18 2:55 pm
From: sue bertsch <lindasuebertsch...>
Subject: [COBOL] ECAS October Birders' Night, Thursday October18th at 6:30 pm
ECAS Members and Friends, Please join us Thursday, October 18th at 6:30 pm
at The Environmental Center, 16 NW Kansas Ave., Bend, OR 97701 for:

* Birding Across the USA*
Mary Webster will present a slide show of birds seen while driving solo
in a small RV across the country - with anecdotes.
Mary relates: My husband got me an SLR camera in 1992 because I wanted to
take photographs of sage grouse that weren’t just little gray-brown dots on
a field of sage green. He had already taught me about the different species
of game birds, and that was the start to my birding. I would take a photo
of a bird, then pour over birding guides until I found my bird – or thought
I did. I was fooled many times. Refinements took place slowly over the
years as I honed my knowledge.

I have always been very independent, so traveling alone across the USA was
an exciting, fun adventure. I looked up refuges in every state, city and
town I visited, and talked to other birders and visitor information centers
to get wind of other nearby sanctuaries, and by this method I worked my way
across the country and back. Along the way I took photographs and sent
them in descriptive emails to friends. Jim Anderson appreciated them, and
that’s why he told Sue she needed to sign me up to do a presentation!

Our night begins with a social half hour, followed by announcements, and
then Mary's presentation. Refreshments will be provided by Nancy Merrick
and beverages donated by Strictly Organic Coffee. Hope you can spend this
evening with ECAS.