Date: 10/3/18 12:42 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Upcoming Field Trips
Below are details for the October and November field trips sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA).  Anyone is welcome to join us, you don't have to be an ASCA member.  We carpool from our starting site to our destination so you can always catch a ride with someone if you don't want to drive.  You are welcome to contact me off-list if you have any questions.  You can also go to our website at www.ascabird.org to see more about our organization.  We don't conduct a field trip in December.  Instead, we encourage everyone to participate in the many Christmas Bird Counts that are held around the state in December.
Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorMaumelle/Little Rock
 October 27LonokeCountyMeet at 7:30 a.m.at the Prothro Junction commuter lot, I-40 East, Exit 157, southeast side ofthe interstate.  We’ll spend the morning exploring the Joe Hogan FishHatchery, the minnow ponds along Bob Long Rd. and the open fields east of BobLong Rd.  First stop is the Fish Hatchery, off Hwy. 70 at 23 Joe HoganLane in Lonoke.  The hatchery is the largest and one of the oldest state-ownedwarm-water pond hatcheries in the United States.  After searching thehatchery, we’ll head south on Hwy. 31 to Pettus and turn east onto Bob LongRoad.  We’ll check the numerous minnow ponds, which can be a magnet forlingering shorebirds, various duck species, a rare merganser or scoter, andearly arriving gulls.  The open fields attract flocks of Snow, GreaterWhite-fronted, and Canada Geese, raptors, and first-of-the-seasonsparrows.  The trip combines driving and stopping, with walking at the FishHatchery.  Wear sturdy shoes as we may be standing in dirt and grass insome spots.  Bring scopes, water, and snacks.  This is a morningtrip.  November 17DeGray LakeResort State Park—ArkadelphiaMeet at 7:30 a.m.in the commuter lot at I-430/I-630 off Shackleford Road in Little Rock. We’ll arrive around 8:45 a.m. at the park’s Lodge for anyone who would like tomeet us there.  Our target birds will be eagles, loons, ducks, mergansers,grebes, and gulls.  Dress warm, the lake can be windy and cold.  Hatsand gloves are recommended.  Bring scope, water, and snacks.  You canbring lunch or eat in the Lodge’s restaurant. Address for thepark is:  2027 State Park Entrance Road - Bismarck, Arkansas 71929. GPS coordinates are 34.24562, -93.14840.  Go to www.degray.com for more information about the park.

Join us on Facebook!