Date: 10/3/18 7:46 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Aquia Landing rails, wrens, other migrants
I had a fun-filled visit to Aquia Landing park in Brooke this morning.  The purpose of my visit was to look for rails in the marsh.  I succeeded, with one king, one Virginia, and 3 soras.  I also saw 2 marsh wrens.  At the beginning of the park road was a nice mix of migrants, including wood, Swainson's, and gray-cheeked thrushes, a bright Philadelphia vireo, yellow-billed cuckoo, a late yellow-throated warbler, and a yellow-rumped warbler.  A common loon was off the beach just before the dogleg into the parking lot.  I tallied 52 species in all.  Prior to Aquia Landing I made a short, sunrise stop at Crow's Nest to view the marsh.  Here I had one sora, which was under the boardwalk and gave me a good view when it emerged.
Marc Ribaudo