Date: 10/3/18 3:46 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Oct 2018) 18 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 11 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): Jim Balint, Puff Busch, Debby Kern, Carol Majors, Ron
Majors, Kelley Nunn, Peter Kjellerup, Ford Draper, Anne Shehab.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 20,200-12,700 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 64 - 78F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (71).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Puff beat me in today. Something that’ll cost her $180. A
long story, right Puff? [she’ll have to tell you] Don’t worry, things
will TURN out ok. A female Scarlet Tanager graced our feeder snag. Puff
actually had a Palm Warbler land on her! Yesterday’s Clay-colored Sparrow
returned today, as did the Lincoln’s Sparrow, wildly bathing. It must have
taken lessons from our Song Sparrows. The last couple of days have
featured southerly winds not at all conducive to hawk movement. That’s
sad, because the skies have otherwise been perfect, with a nice background
of white clouds. So in effect, we could see not much, wonderfully well.
There will be an upcoming deep blue clear day with perfect northwest winds
where lots will be moving. Then we’ll see lots, though horribly! Welcome
to the world of hawk watching! Our Cottontail was out drinking at the
water feature. Pretty cute.
<BR><BR>
Peter and Ford were out from TLC. They fund the hawk watches. Should
Peter get blogged? Dare I?? Oh, lets… Peter was instantly drawn to our
collection of liquor bottles with bird labels on display on one of our
tables. He lamented though, that they were all empty! Hmmmm.. what does
THAT tell us about Peter?? [gotcha Peter. but in a KINDER, GENTLER way –
so I retain my funding!] Peter has a fantastic sense of humor and is a fan
of “the blog.” [He also makes great shoes – Dansko]
<BR><BR>
The evening avian bathing frenzy started today sharply at 3pm with three
Bluebirds in the tub at once, splashing wildly. Why not? They had three
dirty birds to clean. Shortly, a RAVEN croaked to our west. Song Sparrows,
Field Sparrows, House Finches, Purple Finches, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
Goldfinch, soon followed in the bath. Even Mourning Doves and Indigo
Bunting, though they just to drink and feed. The CLAY-COLORED SPARROW did
return twice more. Once landing in the grass next to a quietly sitting
blogger, who discovered that setting his scope up for a picture with his
phone was wasted effort when sitting away from the scope and the subject
bird a mere 8 feet away. I could bare eye the bird, yet the photo evaded
me.
<BR><BR>
We identified 52 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Harrier,
Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Merlin, Barred Owl, RAVEN, Black-and-white Warbler, Lincoln’s
Sparrow, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, Scarlet Tanager, and Purple Finch. Nothing
new for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was seen today. [120
species for the season.]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, RAVEN, Black-and-white Warbler, Lincoln’s Sparrow, CLAY-COLORED
SPARROW, Scarlet Tanager, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Red-spotted Purple.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.12; Steps: 10,815; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season: 120
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks cloudy becoming mostly sunny thruout the day, with
northwest winds. YAY!!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: