Date: 10/2/18 7:29 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Near Georgia - Kirtland's Warbler, Blue Ridge Parkway, NC - 9/24-10/2/2018 (so far)
Hi All,

This is pretty amazing for Near Georgia, there has been a pretty easy to be seen pretty KIRTLAND'S WARBLER on the North Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) since being first found on 9/24 and continuing through today 10/2 at least! This is getting even more amazing by the day!

One was also found at this spot on 9/28/2016!!

The location is on the BRP about 29 miles ENE of Asheville NC. The bird is staying in one of two or three narrow short scrubby areas right there on the ridgetop roadsides, just north and south of the overlook parking itself, and/or mostly at the one at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Hwy 128 (entrance to Mount Mitchell State Park, just stand by the stop sign there)!

I saw the bird this past Saturday in just a few minutes, my eBird checklist with video and map points and exact coordinates for the entrance to Mount Mitchell State Park (the parking is at the Ridge Junction Overlook 150 yards away):

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48819618

What an opportunity to see this species, now in its 9th day at the site!

This a local migration super hotspot, when I was there probably hundreds of warblers and others were jumping over the overlook heading south, some stopping in the trees there for a minute, it was quite the southeastern migration spectacle!

If you go make sure to go on up and explore Mount Mitchell State Park, with restrooms, a few minutes drive up Hwy 128 there!

You can see the eBird reports at the eBird NC RBA:

https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35561

Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane