Date: 10/2/18 6:45 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] OBA Annual Meeting - trip reports, photos
Hi All,

Taghrid and I attended OBA’s Annual Meeting this past weekend, and had a great time, enjoying reconnecting with old friends and acquaintances, or getting to know a lot of birders in person, after previously only knowing them by name from their OBOL posts. Both invited speaker presentations were outstanding - the Falklands are now on our bucket list of places to visit (but so are a great many other places, and there’s some significant doubt as to whether one lifetime is long enough to see them all 😁).

Saturday’s field trip with Stefan Schlick (thanks, Stefan!) was a long hike along Bayocean Spit, all the way to the South Jetty and back. Google Maps says it’s about 8 miles, but according to 3 different step counters in the group, we were somewhere in the 9+ mile range - maybe all this stepping around while trying to catch better glimpses of elusive birds adds up to a significant step count. Maybe there’s a topic for someone to do a study: how many steps does a birder take to cover a given distance versus a normal non-birding human being 😉. Bird highlights from that trip: Black Turnstones, Rhinoceros Auklets, 100-ish Brown Pelicans, White-throated Sparrow, Townsend’s Warblers, Wilson’s Warbler. Not too many good photos from that day - weather was very cloudy and saying that the lighting was poor would be an understatement. Full Ebird checklist (thanks, Kai Frueh for collating it!):
Bayocean Spit: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48831579

Sundays field trip with Diana Byrne (thanks, Diana!) to the Barview Jetty and Nehalem Sewage Ponds was less strenous, but no less memorable. At the Barview Jetty we witnessed an amazing huge feeding frenzy about 0.25-0.5 miles off the shore. It consisted of around 2000-3000 Shearwaters (Sooty, as best as we could tell), hundreds of Brown Pelicans, many Gulls (too distant to identify, but likely a good mix of Western, California, Herring, Heerman’s, etc). On a trail near the campground, we also had a Black-throated Gray Warbler that played peek-a-boo with us. Later, at the Nehalem Sewage Ponds, we had a good variety of ducks, a Bonaparte’s Gull, a Black Phoebe, a couple of Common Yellowthroats, and a fluffball of a Song Sparrow fledgling, begging for food from its parent, despite looking twice the parent’s size. Full Ebird checklists (thanks again, Kai!):
Barview Jetty: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48860145
Nehalem Sewage Ponds: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48860142

All in all, a most excellent weekend spent in great company and with nice birds (especially the feeding frenzy at Barview Jetty was memorable - normally one wouldn’t expect to see such a sight from shore).

Here’s a link to some select photos from the weekend: https://flic.kr/s/aHskFzQVa2

Good birding to all,

Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!