Date: 10/1/18 8:27 pm
From: Jack Maynard <jmaynard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: OPT pelagic trip reports (Garibaldi)
Hi Tim and everyone,

Kelli and I are booked on the October 7 trip out of Newport and are very excited!
Hope any other obol folks will say hi!

Tim, Kelli asks if there is an eBird list you could link to from recent trips so she can do some pre-trip studying?
Or do you have a list of all possible/ expected birds for an October trip?

Thanks in advance and see you on the 7th!

Jack Maynard
NE Portland

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 7:46 PM, Timothy Shelmerdine <tim.oregonpelagictours...> wrote:
>
> Greetings, all.
> Things have been very interesting on the pelagic front, most recently with the two pelagic trips run out of Garibaldi in conjunction with the OBA Annual Meeting. Ocean conditions were not great, an exception to the other trips this fall. A lot of chop and wind waves made a few passengers slightly uncomfortable, but we were able to go out and enjoy good birds both days.
> Saturday's trip was highlighted by 7 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS and all three jaegers, for a "skua grand slam". BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS never cease to elicit oohs and ahs as these graceful fliers glide in to our chum slick on their long wings. Saturday also gave some people another five shearwater day, with everyone getting good views of a FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, but the fifth species, SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER, was missed by many, including the author of this post. Humpback whales, acrobatic Pacific white-sided dolphins at the bow, and a huge ocean sunfish added to our list of sightings.
> Sunday's trip also required some tolerance of boat motion, and also had some great birds. We again completed the "skua slam", and although we only had 4 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, we had all four at the chum slick at once, and two stayed around for the entire time we were there -- very typical for them. We did not have the variety of shearwaters of the previous day, but we did have great views of the three expected species, the elegant BULLER'S SHEARWATER a crowd-pleaser. Add more humpback whales, white-sided dolphins, and a cooperative blue shark. and it was another good day on the ocean.
> Fall migration showed signs of slowing:we only had quick views of one adult SABINE'S GULL each day, and I believe we had 3 phalaropes total over the two days.
> We were happy to again offer pelagics out of Garibaldi, and Oregon Pelagic Tours will look at putting on a trip from this port next year.
> Only three trips left in 2018, all from Newport:
> Next Sunday, OCTOBER 7, 10 hours -- this trip would love to have a couple more passengers join the fun.
> Saturday, OCTOBER 27, 8 hours, Late Fall Seabirds.
> Saturday, DECEMBER 8, 8 hours, Early Winter pelagic. (No guarantees, but this trip did have a very rare Short-tailed Albatross last year.)
> Please see the Oregon Pelagic Tours website for more details.
> Tim Shelmerdine
> Oregon Pelagic Tours

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>