Date: 10/1/18 7:47 pm
From: Timothy Shelmerdine <tim.oregonpelagictours...>
Subject: [obol] OPT pelagic trip reports (Garibaldi)
Greetings, all.
Things have been very interesting on the pelagic front, most recently with
the two pelagic trips run out of Garibaldi in conjunction with the OBA
Annual Meeting. Ocean conditions were not great, an exception to the other
trips this fall. A lot of chop and wind waves made a few passengers
slightly uncomfortable, but we were able to go out and enjoy good birds
both days.
Saturday's trip was highlighted by 7 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS and all three
jaegers, for a "skua grand slam". BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS never cease to
elicit oohs and ahs as these graceful fliers glide in to our chum slick on
their long wings. Saturday also gave some people another five shearwater
day, with everyone getting good views of a FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, but the
fifth species, SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER, was missed by many, including the
author of this post. Humpback whales, acrobatic Pacific white-sided
dolphins at the bow, and a huge ocean sunfish added to our list of
sightings.
Sunday's trip also required some tolerance of boat motion, and also had
some great birds. We again completed the "skua slam", and although we only
had 4 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, we had all four at the chum slick at once, and two
stayed around for the entire time we were there -- very typical for them.
We did not have the variety of shearwaters of the previous day, but we did
have great views of the three expected species, the elegant BULLER'S
SHEARWATER a crowd-pleaser. Add more humpback whales, white-sided dolphins,
and a cooperative blue shark. and it was another good day on the ocean.
Fall migration showed signs of slowing:we only had quick views of one adult
SABINE'S GULL each day, and I believe we had 3 phalaropes total over the
two days.
We were happy to again offer pelagics out of Garibaldi, and Oregon Pelagic
Tours will look at putting on a trip from this port next year.
Only three trips left in 2018, all from Newport:
Next Sunday, OCTOBER 7, 10 hours -- this trip would love to have a couple
more passengers join the fun.
Saturday, OCTOBER 27, 8 hours, Late Fall Seabirds.
Saturday, DECEMBER 8, 8 hours, Early Winter pelagic. (No guarantees, but
this trip did have a very rare Short-tailed Albatross last year.)
Please see the Oregon Pelagic Tours website for more details.
Tim Shelmerdine
Oregon Pelagic Tours

Join us on Facebook!