Date: 10/1/18 1:34 pm
From: Karen Saxton <kcsaxton...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Birds in Strange Places Story Contest
Back in 2010, we had just returned from Costa Rica, where we missed one
target bird: the Northern Caracara. Then we headed to California for a day
in the redwoods and spot (without knowing it was there) one on a gravel
pile on a wide spot on the 197. me yelling stop stop stop, my husband
saying, yeah, I see it, I see it, and my mom asking what are you two going
on about!? We all got good views, and a few photos, until some lady drives
up and starts nattering on about him and spooked him.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...> wrote:

> On Sep. 20, 2015, myself and the Centanni gang (Jim , Evan, and Caleb)
> found both White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches on the East Rim of
> Steens Mountain. (A photo of the WBNU is included here:
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S25155909) That has to be at around
> 9,000 feet in elevation with the summit at 9,734 ft.
>
> Per the eBird bar chart, RBNU has occurred there multiple times, but
> that's the only WBNU record at that location.
>
> Jamie Simmons
> Corvallis
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM James Billstine <billstinj...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With all of the wonderful rarities people have been reporting I was
>> wondering about reports people have of common birds in rare places. A month
>> or so ago someone mentioned a Wandering Tattler in a driveway in the
>> valley.
>>
>> My own best is a White-Breasted Nuthatch in a flock of red-breasted
>> nuthatches at 5K+ feet in the high cascades of Douglas County in a
>> lodgepole pine forest.
>>
>> Can anyone top mine? How about the tattler? Let me and others know!
>>

>> James
>>
>> --
>> James Billstine
>>
>> http://wingsaroundtheumpqua.blogspot.com/