Date: 10/1/18 10:34 am
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Birds in Strange Places Story Contest
Birders,

I’m going to resurrect this topic as I have a great submission. Earlier
this morning, I was working in my backyard in an urban neighborhood of
North Portland. What did my ears hear, but a WESTERN MEADOWLARK! Certainly
not thought I, that must be a Starling imitation. However, upon looking up
at my neighbor’s mature Douglas Fir, I indeed found a Western Meadowlark
perched at the top. It called a few more times, and flew off after a few
minutes. Another strange one for the yard, and bird #84 over a two year
period, in a rather unremarkable 5,000 sq ft lot, a block away from a major
intersection.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48865551

Good times,
-Nick Mrvelj