Date: 10/1/18 10:19 am
From: Bryan Guarente <bryan.guarente...>
Subject: [cobirds] Possible Eastern Wood-pewee (Boulder county: northeast Boulder)
I had the good fortune of a wood-pewee showing up outside my office window
this morning (3085 Center Green Drive, northeast Boulder). Took some poor
digibinned photos (in linked checklist below).

I found this bird to lean more towards Eastern than Western Wood-pewee.
Because this is an immature bird, I am hesitant of the colorations since it
is a hatch-year bird.

- Strong buffy wingbars of equivalent brightness to each other.
- Long primaries compared to tail.
- Coloration of back and head seemed more brownish (dirty) than grayish
(rather than ashy).
- Vested look is much more like Olive-sided Flycatcher than the washed
out Western Wood-pewee I am used to. This individual showed a distinct
open-vested look with an obvious white stripe down its chest.
- When viewed from below, the undertail coverts seemed more yellowy, and
less smudged than I have seen previously with Western Wood-pewee.
- Maxilla dark.
- Mostly yellow mandible (70-80%).
- Eyering.
- Crested look at times.
- No tail flicking.

Bird still present as of 11:10am.
Along the railroad tracks west of Center Green 2 (3085 Center Green Drive).

Here is my eBird checklist if anyone needs to see the photos.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48866030

Feel free to refute this claim as well as this would be a first for me in
terms of differentiating. Seen plenty of both species, just never found
one in the "others territory".

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program