Date: 9/30/18 9:44 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lesser Goldfinch Adult Male Texas Plumage?
Here is a goldfinch followup from our southern neighbor state, and since no
photos were posted of Oregon birds.
While visiting with my brother last week near San Jose, he pulled out a
series of his older bird slides. It was a treat to see the attached photo
taken in his backyard. I've never seen such a bird myself although I saw
many many hundreds of lesser goldfinches growing up on the San Francisco
peninsula. This form was originally called the Arkansas Goldfinch which I
had always assumed was because it was first discovered in Arkansas. But
their distribution doesn't go nearly that far east. The name comes from
their discovery on the headwaters of the Arkansas River in Colorado. Wayne
has described their status.

Bob O'Brien Carver Oregon

PS, if you enjoy quizzes, how many species do you see at his feeder?

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Two quick comments -
>
> First, if you go far enough into Texas,nearly all are blackbacked, but
> there is a zone where intermediate are common that I have seen described as
> up to 1000 miles wide. With this kind of distribution WITHIN A SPECIES, a
> black-backed one out of range could be either a stray from where they are
> common, or a recombinant from more local populations.
>
> Second, in late summer there is a pattern of vagrancy to the northwest of
> a variety of southwestern birds, and this would fit the pattern.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 8/22/2018 10:06:29 AM, Brandon Green <brandon.green18...> wrote:
> I've seen a few adult males similar to the one that Sandy describes
> (though not with completely black backs) in my yard in Eugene in years
> past. And I believe that the sightings were all in the late summer.
>
> Brandon

Join us on Facebook!