Date: 9/30/18 7:48 pm
From: KIM BODDIE <kcboddie...>
Subject: [COBOL] GreenRidge Hawk Watch Sunday 9-30
12 observers and counters spent a cool day on the ridge waiting for lots of raptors to fly over. 70 of them did, but not the larger number we were hoping for. Several of the birds were flying lower than yesterday so we got some good views. We recorded the first Rough-legged Hawk for the season. It didn't give us a good closeup view, It was way up there. One young Golden Eagle put on a show for us by circling in the canyon below us. It then copied yesterday's Goshawk and almost went buy us, hit an updraft and headed back to the north, a no counter.

Here is what we counted:

Turkey Vulture 1 its buddies must have slept in
Bald Eagle 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 37
Cooper's Hawk 10
Northern Goshawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 13
Rough-legged Hawk 1 First of the season
Golden Eagle 3
Merlin 1
Unid. Buteo 1

Remember, next weekend is usually the busiest weekend on the ridge weather permitting. Come up and join us. See East Cascades Audubon website for directions.

Kim Boddie