Date: 9/30/18 6:58 pm
From: Ian Stewart <istew...>
Subject: [de-birds] DOS trip report, Fowles of the air
10 of us had a fun morning walking in Mason and Dixon's footsteps along the
Penn-Del trail in WCCSP.

Interestingly, nearly all of our birds were in the first half-mile of track
where we encountered several good-sized warbler flocks. The very first
flock we saw seemed to be circling around an immobile object spotted by
Kris Benarcik which we eventually identified as a nighthawk roosting along
a branch. It's certainly strange seeing them just sitting there rather than
in flight but quite remarkable how well they blend in!

We ended up with 11 species of warbler including great looks at a Cape May
perched above us, plus a few warblers we never saw well enough to ID. Other
good birds were red-breasted nuthatch, purple finches, blue and
rose-breasted grosbeaks, and a large flock of crows mobbing a
red-shouldered hawk in a tree by the trail. Remarkably, not a single
sparrow (apart from a towhee). The sun came out and it was a great day all
around, especially as this was a new spot

Ian Stewart
Avondale PA 19311

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!