Date: 9/30/18 8:43 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: First Gr. White-fronted Geese of the Season
They all fly south southeast this time of year for observers in nw Oregon.
A reversal just shy of Willamette Pass is plausible. But 100 miles further
north? I guess there were thunderstorms east of Finley yesterday, not sure
if it was late afternoon.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 8:38 AM Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
wrote:

> They were flying east north east which did not seem unusual to me at the
> time. Now I am scratching my head.
>
> Jack Williamson
> West Linn, Oregon
>

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 1:53 AM Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps they decided weather was unfavorable for crossing the pass. All
>> of the adults in the flock have been there before. I've been wondering a
>> bit lately how these social birds achieve consensus. Will we ever know?
>> Thanks for the cardinal clarification Steve. Otherwise I might
>> have assumed the reversed direction was a clerical error. Jack Williamson
>> saw(I left my glasses at home)some GWFG that I heard over West Linn at 4:15
>> Saturday. I presume they were southbound as he made no comment otherwise.
>> It seems like it has been 8 days since that last big wave. The ones folks
>> notice the last week of August(I think reports began as early as 8/20 this
>> year) nest on the Alaska Penninsula. That is to say the south shore of
>> Bristol Bay. Thanks to satellite tracking we now know this subset of
>> Alaskan GWFG will slow the pace of migration a little after resting in the
>> Klamath Basin, but not finish their annual cycle until reaching Chihuahua.
>> Later in the winter they are back in the Central Valley. The GWFG passing
>> over nw Oregon a month later nested on the north shore of Bristol Bay.
>> Maybe today's geese are from a third location in Alaska.
>> Lpn
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018, 11:38 PM McDonald, Steve <bigrocketman...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In my first post, I should have noted that the geese I heard were flying
>>> in the opposite direction that you'd expect, for this time of the year. I
>>> have no explanation for that.
>>>

>>> Steve McDonald
>>>
>>> http://flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
>>> http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos