Date: 9/30/18 6:13 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] 9 Warblers and a Dickcissel in Rockbridge Co on Saturday
All - Lucy, my daughter, and I headed out yesterday morning to look for warblers. We birded along the Parkway from RT 60 to RT 56 and then at McCormick's Farm and Willow Lake. It was a very birdy day.

Along the Parkway way we found a number of mixed feeding groups: Swainson's Thrush (several large groups at the tops of trees), Red-breasted Nutchatch (at least 2), Pine Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and Black-throated Blue Warbler. In addition we found Red-eyed and White-eyed Vireos, Red-tailed Hawks, lots of Chimney Swifts, Ravens (8), Wood Thrush (2), and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

For the day, we found all expected woodpeckers (Pileated, Downy, Hairy, YS Flicker, Red-bellied), and the usual suspects: CA Chickadees, Titmice, WB Nuthatches, a few Song Sparrows and Chipping Sparrows.

McCormick's Farm was very active. We had Common Yellowthroats, Magnolia Warblers, Cape May Warblers (many), Palm Warbler, American Redstart, White-eyed Vireo, Phoebes, Pewee, Tree Swallow and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Willow Lake - Great Egret (it's been there for a week), 2 Great Blue Herons, Northern Harrier, some epid flycatcher that we could never get close looks at, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and perhaps the bird of the day, Lucy found a Dickcissel (I think the 4th county record).

I've posted some photos on Flickr from the day

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept