Date: 9/29/18 7:30 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Sep 2018) 163 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 21:00:00
Total observation time: 12.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): John Daniel, Kathleen Pileggi, Rhoda McNitt, Bob Reitz, Jim
Balint, Jim Green, Dale Kendall, Bob Suter, and Karen Satterthwaite.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 56 - 73F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (57) and Turkey Vultures (63).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I believe this day will have a nice migration, last night
for passerines and today for hawks. Winds are right, there was no rain and
timing is alright though past prime time for many warblers and
Broad-wings. It’s getting towards time to look for Dickcissels and
Orange-crowned Warblers; while each day brings us closer to our first
Golden Eagle of the season. Enough of this dreaming – let’s see what
happens. I stopped for a quick check of the Polo Fields. They play polo
on Friday nights, so I expect our few lingering birds to have left;
possibly replaced by later migrants. However, I found likely the same 2
Pectoral Sandpipers and 4 Killdeer. At Bucktoe, I put “field brew” to
work. While it was warming to the task, I birded. Lincoln’s Sparrow was
again at the feeders. A Red-breasted Nuthatch called from the wood. A
Tennessee Warbler was again drawn to the spectacular “water feature.” Our
first vulture waited until 10:10 to take to the air. My nice background
clouds “went south” on me – literally. Dale and the crew from
Kendal/Crosslands Retirement Communities were out again today, bringing
food items to celebrate my birthday, which is tomorrow. Thanks, guys. I
don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this, but.. gifts of food AND beverages
are not only welcomed, but to be encouraged here at Bucktoe. We also
discovered that Rhoda’s birthday is also tomorrow! Dale also brought gifts
of suet for our birds. They thank you, Dale. Hawks were slow, but quite
steady; a Broad-wing here, one there, a bit later two more. The same for
the accipiters. We had a very nice turnout in butterflies today with 15
species, including many Monarchs, Eastern Comma, Common Checkered Skipper,
Red Admiral, and Buckeye. The sky got crystal clear- hard to pick out
anything. What sense would it make to complain about the lack of clouds?
I dare not, right!? I mentioned to the group that I heard a Palm Warbler
in the meadow.
<BR><BR>
That prompted Dale to say to everyone, “Larry, you have such great
hearing.”
<BR><BR>
I replied , “You know Dale, you are right. I am so lucky that way. But
you know it is so funny that for some reason I often can’t hear women very
well at all!” I thought I had been funny and clever, with all the women
present.
<BR><BR>
“Then you won’t be hearing that I was going to leave the extra cupcakes for
you.” Dale giggled.
<BR><BR>
Touché, Dale! She has a great sense of humor, that Dale, and the last
laugh this time!
<BR><BR>
“What’s that bird on the ground below feeder pole number three?” Asked
Dale.
<BR><BR>
“What? Did you say something? I can’t hear you, Dale.” LOL
<BR><BR>
I stayed late to write and to attend the astronomy program this evening.
At 5:10 a RAVEN flew my very close, calling all the while. The astronomy
club found and showed us Jupiter and its moons, Mars in its reddish tone,
and Saturn complete with ring. Incredible!
<BR><BR>
We identified 57 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, RAVEN, Barred Owl, Palm Warbler,
Tennessee Warbler, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Purple Finch,
and Bobolink. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list
was noted. [114 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
RAVEN, Barred Owl, Palm Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
Lincoln’s Sparrow, Purple Finch, and Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (15): Monarch - 105, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Red Admiral, Eastern
Comma, Painted Lady. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (5): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole,
Woodchuck.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.0; Steps: 18,681; Floors: 4.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season: 114
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like if you liked today's conditions. You might
like tomorrow, except the wind will be light nd variable.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek