Date: 9/29/18 7:04 pm
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Oh for those that got away
Yesterday, while at Bald Knob NWR, we were driving slowly alongside a rice field.  All of a sudden the Great Egret we were seeing jumped up and flew away.  But, it also scared up another bird.  My wife saw it hop up, go about 5 feet, then settle back into the rice.  "I saw a Bittern", she said.  She looked through the binoculars and said she can see the head sticking up.  She grabbed her camera, and the bird was never spotted again.  Her 2 looks were very short, maybe a second each.  Not enough time to get great detail.  She believes she saw a Least Bittern, a bird I have been hunting for at Bald Knob NWR for at least 3 years.  But she isn't sure enough that she would feel comfortable making the call.  And I never even caught a glimpse.  I have to say, I know how she feels.  I have had numerous times where I caught a quick peek of something flying past, or hopping from the top of a bush into the bush.  And you just know it was something really good.  But it got away, never to be seen again.  It really makes me understand all those fishermen with their stories about the one that got away.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!