Date: 9/29/18 5:50 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Kiptopeke Hawkwatch (29 Sep 2018) 643 Raptors
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch
Tip of Virginia's Eastern Shore, Virginia, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 29, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 134 2547 2555
Bald Eagle 36 161 161
Northern Harrier 11 118 119
Sharp-shinned Hawk 80 311 311
Cooper's Hawk 75 277 277
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 48 654 655
Red-tailed Hawk 3 38 39
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 139 1711 1712
Merlin 44 846 846
Peregrine Falcon 70 437 437
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 1 7 7
Unknown Raptor 2 2 2

Total: 643 7109 7121

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 17:45:00
Total observation time: 11.75 hours

Official Counter: Anna Stunkel

Observers: Betsy Foster, Chris Foster, Harry Armistead, Julia Magill,
Kevin McGann, Rose Leong, Steve Thornhill, Sue Ricciardi,
Wes Hetrick

Visitors:
It was great to see many visitors attending Kiptopeke's Outdoor Exploration
Day. We also had a visit from the Old Dominion University Ornithology
class. Thanks for stopping by!

Weather:
Winds were very light and mostly from the northeast, with partly cloudy
skies and temperatures in the sixties to mid seventies.

Raptor Observations:
Raptors were high-flying today, with a good movement of falcons, Ospreys,
and some accipiters. There was a particularly strong Bald Eagle flight.

Non-raptor Observations:
It was a big day for woodpeckers! We had a massive Northern Flicker flight,
with 1,284 flickers counted. Quite a few warblers were hanging around
behind the platform this morning, mostly including Northern Parulas and
American Redstarts. Other observations included:

86 Blue Jays
25 Red-headed Woodpeckers
20 Cedar Waxwings
19 Red-bellied Woodpeckers
6 Field Sparrows
4 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
3 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
2 Common Nighthawks
2 Wood Ducks
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Magnolia Warbler

24 Monarchs
Report submitted by Brian Taber (<Taberzz...>)
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch information may be found at:
www.cvwo.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=484
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/cvwo/kiptopeke-hawk-count-2018