Date: 9/29/18 3:19 pm
From: Adam Schaffer <000000135bd342dd-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Nyjer question
Nyjer works well for us. It has the advantage of not really being something the raccoon, squirrels, starlings, or house sparrows want to eat. The finches love it though unless it’s been wet. They go through it fast enough that I only have to toss it every once in a while. We do seem to get more goldfinches than most folks. The house finches and siskins like it too as did the red crossbill we had several winters ago.

Adam Schaffer
Bentonville

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 4:09 PM, Gail Miller <gail.miller...> wrote:
>
> In my 40 years of feeding birds on my current property, I’ve never had good luck with nyjer seed. Everything seems to like black oil sunflower, so I feed it mainly. I do still buy nyjer occasionally, as Indigo Buntings will eat it, but the buntings also eat the black oil. Just my observation. Someone commented once that if nyjer is old, birds won’t eat it. They suggested putting some of the seeds between two sheets of paper and smashing them and if the seeds don’t produce some oil, it’s old.
>
> Gail Miller
> Conway (Faulkner Co.) AR

Join us on Facebook!