Date: 9/29/18 7:23 am
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Nyjer question
Normally, the only bird feed we put out is black oil sunflower seeds.  Mostly we see lots of House Finches and Northern Cardinals, and in the winter we get lots of Goldfinches.  When we put out anything with millet, the House Sparrows show up and eat everything in a couple hours.  So we don't do that.  Sometimes we hang suet but mostly the House Sparrows eat it.
Anyhow, we were at Atwoods about 4 weeks ago and decided to buy a prefilled nyjer sock.  I hung it out with the feeders and in 4 weeks I saw only one House Finch perch on it for a few seconds then fly off.  Nothing has eaten it.  Could the seed get bad, or perhaps too old.  Will birds ignore old nyjer seed?  I thought the finches would love this stuff.  I'm baffled.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!