Date: 9/28/18 4:18 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Sep 2018) 98 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Jim Balint, Diane, Jan, Isabelle, & Evelyn Bove, Kelley Nunn,
Bob Reitz, Rhoda McNitt.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/ Rain becoming Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -
700-3,200 ft., Visibility - 6-10 miles, Temps 62 - 71F, Winds WNW @ 5 - 10
mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (38) and Turkey Vultures (49).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-1; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Your blogger had to risk life and limb getting to “the
Watch” today; driving thru a flooded old King Ranch. Yah, Doe Run was
anything but a timid “mammal” of a stream today. Rather a large angry herd
of bucks! The roads were completely flooded. Yet I waited in line to cross
it. Thinking last night’s deluge could have forced a strange shorebird
down on the Polo Field, I stopped and checked. I found 2 Pectoral
Sandpipers, a dozen Killdeer, and a Snipe. Oddly, there were 11 Wood Ducks
there with no water. I wonder what waits me at Bucktoe? Field Brew, for
one thing – and while a Barred Owl hooted! Jim was out hooting for some
field brew of his own. Jim told me hunting season opens here soon. That
means only one thing. The deer will be moving to Bucktoe for safety. Oh,
we hunt at Bucktoe alright – we just don’t hit! Jim heads a stalwart group
of hunters the “Bucktoe Buckley Bafflers.” [Bucktoe Buckley is a
notoriously huge 12-pointer [I believe he is] that we see here on
occasion.] Jim’s is a group of blind hunters using the brail archery
method to fill their freezers with venison. They are all quickly starving.
It’s a charity thing Jim does – for the OTHER blind hunters, and
especially the deer. [blogged again, Jim] The Bove family ventured here
today for the first time. It’ll get better, folks. Kelley was out and
took a walk to “Warbler Meadow,” finding American Redstart and
Black-throated Blue Warbler [KN]. Rhoda and Bob returned with CLEAN
FEEDERS for a couple of days ago, along with some feed. Thanks, guys!
Returning the favor, the season’s first Lincoln’s Sparrow [my FOY] graced
the feed on the ground at “The Watch.” Rhoda & Bob got great looks.
What’s that they say guys? “For every good deed…”
<BR><BR>
We identified 49 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Barred Owl, American
Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warbler, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
Purple Finch, and Bobolink. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species
list was Lincoln’s Sparrow. [114 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, American Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warbler,
Lincoln’s Sparrow, Purple Finch, and Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted Purple, Painted Lady. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (1): American Toad. Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern
Gray Squirrel, Meadow Vole, Woodchuck.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.67; Steps: 10,078; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 114
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Lincoln's
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks fantastic if there are enough clouds for
background. NO RAIN, sunny skies with NW winds. NICE!!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek