Date: 9/28/18 12:57 pm
From: Scott Priebe via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] [va-bird] Leesylvania SP, Pr. William Co. - Red-Breasted Nuthatch; 14 Warbler spp., including Orange-crowned Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler
I was not optimistic, as Cornell's live bird radar showed a lackluster migration flight in our area, and BirdCast predicted low migrant activity.
I arrived at 7:10, as the sky was clearing. Things looked up immediately, as my first stop was the little pond by the river netted seven warbler spp., including Western Palm, Tennessee and 4 Blackpoll Warblers (Elton, too many according to eBird) in 15 minutes. Also, I observed a Yellow-billed Cuckoo feeding a fat green caterpillar to a juvenile here. Nothing of note in the picnic area to the pier. Arriving at the gun battery, I could see many warblers in the tree tops, and crossed paths with Linda Chittum and friend. Unfortunately I arrived toward the tail end of a nice warbler flock. Linda indicated that most were Cape May W. with several other species mixed in (including Yellow and Black-throated Blue, which I did not see this morning). I found a Red-breasted Nuthatch here along with a few more warbler spp. Some warbler activity behind the Visitor's Center, and White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos. Then to Bushy Point, where Linda had seen a Waterthrush at the boat house boardw
alk. I didn't find the Waterthrush, but did find an Orange-crowned Warbler in a Buttonbush just left of the stream - my first at Leesylvania.

Finally, good weather and nice variety and number of migrants. I ended up seeing 54 species, with 14 species of warbler (eBird checklist below). Linda saw at least three more species of warbler I missed. So at least 17 warbler spp. in the park this morning.

One final note - Cornell's BirdCast (http://birdcast.info/) is predicting med.-high migration activity in our area Saturday night. If it comes to pass and given today's activity (being "poor"), Sunday could be very good.

Scott D. Priebe
Springfield, VA

https://ebird.org/va/view/checklist/S48799435

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon> Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>