Date: 9/28/18 9:38 am
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: RE: [NEBirds] dark morph hawk, Polk Co, NE
Marsha:

It is difficult to reach any sort of conclusion about the identity of your hawk based on the limited details, but assuming it was a buteo there are a limited number of likely possibilities. Western Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis calarus) are dark, but based on information summarized on the Birds of Nebraska - Online (https://birds.outdoornebraska.gov/red-tailed-hawk/), it is a tad early for birds of that race to be appearing in Nebraska (doesn't mean it is impossible). Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk (B. j. harlani) are also dark, but it is also on the early side of things for that race as well. A dark-morph Ferruginous Hawk would be unlikely in eastern Nebraska, especially in September. Swainson's Hawk migration peaks in late Sep and early Oct and dark-morphs of that species are occasionally observed in Nebraska (https://birds.outdoornebraska.gov/swainsons-hawk/). Thus, if I were betting, I would put my money on a dark-morph Swainson's Hawk.

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Visit the Birds of Nebraska - Online <http://www.birdsofnebraska.org/> | www.birdsofnebraska.org