Date: 9/27/18 3:22 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Sep 2018) 89 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (8): Jim Balint, Barb & RJ Polilli, Kelley Nunn, Tom Zunino Gerry
Teig, Daniel Noznisky.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy-Partly Sunny (100-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000-27,300 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 58 - 67F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (52) and Turkey Vultures (58).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I began today with my customary stop at the Polo Fields,
seeing only 2 Pectoral Sandpipers of note with the Killdeer. Once at
Bucktoe, I was greeted with a Barred Owl - a nice way to start my day. A
Black Vulture and 2 Turkey Vultures got the day started early, when they
lifted up at 9:37. Sadly, I noticed that last night we had lost one of our
planted snags to the east of the hawk watch – the one I called “short snag”
had fallen over. Jim was out to “bust my chops” and to pilfer some field
brew. Thanks, Jim. We discussed the loss of some of our snags. Some will
be replaced, as we can. The hawks were coming through in a steady, though
slow stream. They were high up today. Three Peregrines were a treat
today. Blue Jays continued their impressive movement south, while Palm
Warblers were around our site the entire day.
<BR><BR>
We identified 49 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Barred Owl, Scarlet
Tanager, Palm Warbler, Purple Finch, and Bobolink. Nothing new for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list was added today. [113 species for
the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, Scarlet Tanager, Palm Warbler, Purple Finch, and Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 30, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted Purple. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.28; Steps: 10,043; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 113
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” nothing.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a cloudy day with some more rain. Can you
believe it?? Weekend looks good, though!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek