Date: 9/26/18 7:32 pm
From: Harriett Pooler <harriett.pooler...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Elmer's Island - airport
I remember about 5 years ago when Exxon Mobil operations were bought out EXxonM was trying to decide what to do with the land they owned, aka Exxon fields, that were not part of the buyout. The Grand Isle mayor approached EXxonM with the idea of donating the land to the city of GI so a golf course could be built there, along Hwy 1. EXxonM didn't go through with it (not sure who owns it now)but my point is that the GI mayor thinks golf courses and air strips are the way to attract tourists and additional dollars into the local economy. Needless to say, I don't agree.

Harriett Pooler
Baton Rouge

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2018, at 7:11 PM, Jody Shugart <jodyshugart...> wrote:

"Wildlife and Fisheries had planned to develop a "birding area" in the
section of the refuge now eyed for the airport. According to plans drafted
just three months ago, the birding area would have a new trail, boardwalk,
and observation deck showcasing an area known as a prime bird watching
spot. "
- https://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2018/09/airport_in_a_wildlife_refuge_s.html
<https://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2018/09/airport_in_a_wildlife_refuge_s.html>

Are they trying to bribe birders into supporting the loss of habitat with
more birding locations?

--
Jody Shugart
985-237-5091 (cell)