Date: 9/26/18 5:05 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Yong Comment - Confirmed report of yellow-green vireo in Cape May
OK, time for me to fess up.

Quick check on the eBird indicate confirmed sighting og Yellow-green vireo
at Plum Island in Massachusetts on 9-5-2011, and at Charleston County, South
Carolina on 9-27-2016. Now the NJ's *first* record. All three confirmed
documentations have one thing in common. They were all positively Id'ed at a
banding station where these vireos were held in hand.

I have seen my share of red-eyed vireos this fall, mostly in high above the
tree canopy and partially hidden by leaves, but have little trouble on the
id them as red-eyed. Reason for it is who cares as it is my id and my bird
find.

If I had seen this very special NJ's own Yellow-green vireo under the
similar *difficult* viewing conditions at Cape Island, especially at Higbee,
most likely I would have Id'ed it as nothing but a odd looking red-eyed
vireo.

Even If I had taken some decent photos with my cheap point-n-shoot camera in
auto mode, and was able to capture some id features such as its bright
yellow ventral region and yellowish flanks, I would have blamed on the
camera for the *false* camera artifact or photo lie, and most likely
moved-on as odd looking red-eyed. Reason ? My lack of bird ID knowledge and
afraid to ask questions to those who know.

Besides Marty's questions, I am wondering if there are/were other birders
who saw this very special vireo in high canopy of trees, and moved on as if
it was a just the usual red-eyed vireo as I would most likely would have.

Another question I have is, what if this vireo was never caught in the net,
if it would have been id'ed via live view thru bins or sound at the Meadow.

Self confession is always embarrassing but I rather go thru with it, and at
the end, learn something from this listserve that have countless expert
birders that mostly remain silent.

Yong Kong
Camden County