Date: 9/26/18 5:01 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Gulls Galore in San Luis valley

Exciting day today on this calm sunny day in the San Luis valley. Spent
some serious time with camera and scope working on gulls at Smith Reservoir
and San Luis lake. It was worth the effort as I saw some species we don't
see very often.

A juvenile *Sabine's Gull* was easily seen walking on the west shoreline.
This is a totally different bird than the adult I reported a week ago. The
adult was nowhere to be found but this juvenile was very cooperative and I
was able to capture some images as well (soon to be on my website under
recent additions....https://johnrawinski.zenfolio.com/). Also very
available were two *Baird's Sandpipers* and 1 *Semi-palmated Sandpiper*
again on the west shore. All of this in Costilla County. Finally, we don't
often get *Herring Gull* but one adult was present among the Ring-billeds.

At San Luis lake, a dark-mantled gull caught my attention from quite some
distance. Eventually I got within 40 yards of an adult *Lesser Black-backed
Gull* resting on a sandbar (Alamosa County). It was hanging out on the west
side of the lake. We get this species on rare occasions and less than 5
records for our Valley.

I like to run the photos by my wife Lisa and she confirmed them as well.

Probably my best gull day ever in the SLV.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO