Date: 9/26/18 3:32 pm
From: Steve Johnson via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] raptor push, Fairfax County 26 Sept
Hello birders,

A few birds is a random coincidence, but today there were too many for me not to mention it here. Both of these locations are in Fairfax County. I wonder if others noticed a lot of raptors moving today??

This morning at Elklick Woodlands Natural Preserve (on Pleasant Valley Road, south of Sully Woodlands), I had 7 species fly-over or circling: both Vultures; Red-tailed, Broad-winged, and Cooper's Hawks; Osprey; and a pair of adult Bald Eagles. That's double the usual raptor species diversity found there on any given day.

Then this afternoon, Lynn and I watched a Merlin visit Waples Mill Meadow Park. For such a suburban location, this park gets a good variety of birds during migration and winter. The Merlin stayed around for at least 30 minutes, perching several times.

Steve Johnson & Lynn Rafferty

Fairfax, Virginia