Date: 9/26/18 11:31 am
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] New (to me) spot in Colonial Park, Franklin Township, Somerset Co. of local interest
Maybe lots of people know this spot already, but I just wandered into a
new to me area of Colonial Park in Franklin Township while birding this
morning.  The area is immediately south of the Rose Garden. An
inconspicuous bridge leads across the Spooky Brook Spillway and opens
into a maze of mowed paths around and through a very young succession
forest area and high meadows.  It is bordered by fairly mature woodlands
and the D&R Canal.  I don't know how regularly these paths are
maintained, but today they were quite freshly mowed and provided easy
access.  It's possible they are used as bridle paths (and the park
ranger told me that people illegally run their dogs there).

At any rate, this is a happily undeveloped corner of the park, and gave
me my FOS palm warbler.  I would think this area would be good in late
fall and in winter.

Parking is at Parking Lot A.

Susan Treesh
Somerset