Date: 9/25/18 6:25 pm
From: Gerco H via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Leesburg Yard Birds
Being late for work can easily be blamed on traffic, but it is to be more fun to say--The birds were good.

This morning traffic was actually really bad and the birds were really good. In a fine mist, the birds were slow to start, but around 830am things really picked up. The family of 4 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were frequent visitors to the feeder as was the lone female Purple Finch. All have been having our since last Saturday. Along the forest edge 3 Tanagers were chasing each other. To my delight one of them was a Summer Tanager. Seeing the difference in structure and size of the bird (and bill) was easy once the settled down. Small but feisty, the few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were chasing just about every bird in the part. It is fun to see those tiny birds going after the much bigger Grosbeaks or Tanagers.

Warblers started late, but I ended up with 8 species for the morning. For the second day in a row, a male Black-throated Blue Warbler visited the suet after tasting some dried fruit earlier. Other warblers include a Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Green, Cape May, Magnolia, Black-and-White, Pine and Common Yellowthroat.

Other highlights included a hunting Sharp-shinned Hawk (well that kept the bird quiet for a while) and a female Indigo Bunting. The latter we do not see that often in the yard.

Happy birding,

Gerco
Leesburg, VA

Mourning Dove 6